Aqua spaces creation for business or home need to use natural bottom or pond liner. Which one to apply depends on purpose and environment? For getting the most from your aqua space consider certain factors before choosing natural bottom or pond liner.
Factors to consider while deciding natural bottom or pond liner
- Pond size
- Pond design
- Aqua space longevity
- Water quality goals
- Plant and fish species
- Property value
When can natural bottom be a viable option?
Natural bottom is advantageous to have with small sized shallow ponds holding not more than two feet water. Shallow ponds involve less water pressure from top but do need well compacted hard dirt forms. Head water pressure pushes water through natural bottom therefore the option of earth bottom for deep ponds gets eliminated. Natural bottom ponds look aesthetic and more natural than the ones with pond liners.
What is pond liner?
Pond liner is water-proof material, which is laid on the bottom of a fish pond or artificial aqua spaces to help water retention. It is designed to avoid erosion, leakage, and even contamination. Geo-synthetic pond liners like RPE [reinforced polyethylene] or RPP [reinforced polypropylene] disallow head water pressure to seep in the earth’s bottom. The benefits offered are many and worth the cost.
Pond liner’s worthy benefits
- Erosion often caused due to heavy rainfall gets eliminated
- Erosion caused on banks enable to lose shape but pond liners help to maintain structure and shape
- Liners used on pond banks are flexible or preformed, so help in stopping soil erosion
- Main aim of pond liner is to prevent water seepage
- Ponds without liner leaks lots of water and even valuable salts and minerals seep away with leaking water
- Consistent water seepage drops the pond’s water level, which needs to be replenished regularly
- High quality liner helps to avoid all these losses due to leakage
- With pond liner installed before water is filled the chances that soil and water mixing beneath lining material gets removed
- Water remains pure and clear without contamination, which could be due to soil below
- Pond remains unpolluted and is good for animals and plants you desire to put inside the pond water
Other good aspects of pond liners
- Synthetic pond liners are strong and tear resistant, which are useful when aqua space is encircled with wildlife
- Water quality in the pond is safe for survival of plants and fish as well as human consumption
- RPE and RPP pond liners conform to water features contours and are easy to install in small spaces
- There are other types of flexible pond liner materials like butyl rubber, EPDM, PVC or HDPE. You can consider their pros and cons before choosing
It does not matter, if you are adding property value or creating a calm resting place for get together or desire complex pond design. High quality and certified pond liners are your solution. Depending on your aqua space depth and size, you may not require pond liner but a natural bottom!
If you are confused in deciding visit http://www.swelluk.com/pond/pond-liners-54/